The Mindfulness-Based Financial Wellness Program
Whether you are a financial or life planning professional, a mental health provider, or simply someone curious to understand more about your financial life and become more effective with money, the MBFW program can support your journey toward personal and professional development, greater financial wellness and well-being.
The Mindfulness-Based Financial Wellness (MBFW) program is modeled upon the highly successful and well-researched Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program (MBSR) founded by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Mindfulness-Based Financial Wellness was developed by Joe Lowrance, Psy.D., clinical psychologist, in consultation with the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, home of MBSR.
The MBFW program consists of eight weekly two-and-one-half hour classes and a one-day weekend retreat. As part of the MBFW program you will be provided with :
- Guided instruction in mindfulness mediation practices
- Light stretching and mindful yoga
- Mind-body awareness exercises
- Introduction to and exploration of the wellness framework and philosophy, and the domains of financial wellness
- Review and discussion of scientifically derived topics relevant to personal finance and financial life
- Group dialogue and mindfulness exercises geared to develop awareness in daily life and interpersonal interactions
- Personal instruction
- Daily home assignments
- Home practice supports including guided mindfulness meditation practices, worksheets and educational materials
Mindfulness-Based Financial Wellness is a method of personal and professional development as well as a practical and pragmatic approach to the realities of money, personal finance and financial life. Mindfulness serves as the way we learn to engage with and relate to our present moment experiences. The framework of financial wellness provides us orientation and direction as we live our financial lives. When integrated, the pairing of mindfulness-based practices and the tenets of financial wellness serve as a powerful means toward insight and understanding, coping and adaptation, growth and development, financial self-care and well-being.
MBFW is a positive and affirming program conducted within a safe, supportive and engaging environment. The program necessitates an ongoing personal commitment. As a participant, you will be requested to attend all classes, including the one-day weekend retreat and to practice home assignments for 45 to 60 minutes each day.